Before we start ,We recommend to install latest Tally ERP 9 release 6.0.2 which addresses major issues in printing HSN/SAC codes in the initial release. That is Tally ERP 9 Release 6.0 & 6.0.1.
Ensure that you specify both HSN/SAC and tax rates at the same level (Ledger or Group or Stock item or Stock group or Company) in Tally.ERP 9. If you have specified the HSN/SAC for stock items at any one level, do not specify the same at other levels.
When recording a transaction, Tally.ERP 9 looks for tax-related details in the following order:
Ledger > Group > Stock item > Stock group > Company
HSN/SAC may not be printed in the invoice if
● HSN/SAC is entered at the group level, but tax rate is entered at the ledger level
● HSN/SAC is entered at the stock item level, but tax rate is entered at ledger group or ledger level
● HSN/SAC is entered at the stock group level, but tax rate is entered at the stock item, stock group, or ledger level
● HSN/SAC is entered at the company level, but tax rate is entered at another level
To print the HSN/SAC in the invoice, ensure that the tax rate and HSN/SAC are defined at the same level
Recommend reading : Guidelines for managing HSN/SAC Code in Tally ERP 9
Let’s consider the following scenarios:
Scenario 1: If you have stock items attracting a specific tax rate (say 12%) under a stock group and other stock items attracting different tax rates:
● Provide the HSN/SAC and tax rates applicable for the items with 12% tax rate at the stock group level.
● Provide the HSN/SAC and tax rates for other stock items individually at the stock item levels.
Scenario 2: If you have entered the HSN/SAC and tax rates at the stock group or stock item level, as well as at the sales ledger level, the HSN/SAC will not be printed in the invoice. In this case, HSN code at the sales ledger level is not needed. To remove the HSN/SAC from the sales ledger:
● Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Ledgers > Alter and set Taxability as Unknown and save the sales ledger.
● Alternatively, in the Ledger Alteration screen, press Alt+L to set the Taxability to Unknown in the Tax Rate History screen.
If you saved the HSN/SAC at any level, you can delete it using the Tax Rate History option in the GST Details screen.
● Press Alt+L in the GST Details screen, and delete the HSN/SAC from the Tax Rate History screen.
Note: When recording a transaction, if the HSN/SAC is found first (in this order Ledger > Group > Stock item > Stock group > Company) without the tax rates at that level, the rates do not get calculated in the transaction.