- 1 GSTR-1 return filing using tally erp 9
- 2 Prerequisites for filing GSTR-1
- 3 GSTR-1 Filing By generating JSON file from Tally.ERP 9
- 4 How to File GSTR-1 returns in GST portal
- 5 GSTR-1filing by using the GST Offline Tool – Method II
- 6 How to Resolve Dollar $ symbol appears after exporting data from Tally ERP 9 ?
- 7 Import data and generate the JSON file
- 8 IMPORT Data Using csv files
- 9 Important Note For e-commerce operators
- 10 Method 3: By filing your returns directly on the GST portal
- 11 Mapping the unit of measurement (UOM) when the UQC is not available
Last Updated on
Every registered tax payer under GST regime selling taxable goods shall file GSTR-1 return through GST Portal. All the details of outward supply of goods shall be furnished through the GSTR-1 return.The businesses having turnover up to 1.5 crore can opt for a quarterly GSTR-1 return and business with more than one crore shall be filed monthly GSTR-1 return. Filing GSTR-1 is mandatory to all registered tax payers making outward supply of goods and services even if there is no business in a month. When there is no sales Nil return shall be submitted by the dealer. The due date for filing GSTR-1 return is on or before 10 of succeeding month. For example the return of June 2018 should be filed by 10th July.
GSTR-1 return filing using tally erp 9
Tally erp 9 has a report called GSTR-1 Report, by using which we can file GSTR-1 to GST Portal. GSTR-1 Report contains all outward supply data. like B2B Invoices, B2C invoices, Credit notes and debit notes, exempt and nil rated sales with its taxable value, state tax, central tax ,integrated tax mount,cess amount, Total Invoice Values etc. By using GSTR-1 Report in tally you can verify each vouchers, and can make corrections if required.
There are three options by using which you can file GSTR-1 Return using Tally ERP 9.
- The first one is Generating a JSON File using Tally ERP 9.
- By using an offline tool ( excel tool ) provided by GST portal
- You can File GSTR-1 Directly on GST Portal.
Watch below video to know more about GSTR1 Filing outward supplies.
Prerequisites for filing GSTR-1
For filing GSTR-1 Internet connectivity is a must for downloading Offline excel tool from GST Site and for uploading Json file generated from Tally ERP 9.
Microsoft Excel 2007 or later ,If you have older versions of Microsoft Excel, like 2003 or prior version please upgrade to Microsoft 2007 or later versions. This is required only if you are using the GST Offline Tool
Important Notes for Tax liability on advance receipts
As you all know,Businesses with less than 1.5 crores turnover need not pay tax on advance receipt from customer,Tally ERP 9 Disabled the tax calculation of advance receipt from customer is disabled from release 6.1.1. Such advance receipt will only displayed under “Not relevant for return in GSTR-1 Report.
For Business with Turnover above 1.5 crore can enable tax calculation on advance receipt using Following option
F11 Company Features > Statutory & Taxation > Go to company GST Details screen and activate the option ‘Enable tax liability on advance receipts’
GSTR-1 Filing By generating JSON file from Tally.ERP 9
Let’s discuss the first method by Generating GSTR-1 returns in the JSON format, to do this
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Statutory Reports > GST > GSTR-1
- Select the Month for which return need to be files by using option F2: Period:
- F12: Configure: To view the export options for HSN/SAC details, enable Show HSN/SAC Summary?
- Now click on export button at the top of the screen or press Press Ctrl+E. The exporting options screen will displayed.
- In the exporting option screen Select Format as JSON (data interchange)
- Make sure the you have enabled the option ‘Export HSN/SAC details even if UQC is not available’? – Yes, to export transactions where UQCs are not available. For such transactions, you have to map the units of measurement of the stock items to related UQCs in the MS Excel or CSV file.
- Also enable Export HSN/SAC details not included for other reasons? – Yes, to export transactions that are not included in the HSN/SAC Summary due to various reasons. Make sure that you are entering these excluded data directly on GST portal while filing GST Return.
Note: The options Export HSN/SAC details even if UQC is not available? and Export HSN/SAC details not included for other reasons? will be visible to you only when you activate Show HSN/SAC Summary? is set to Yes in the GSTR-1 report. The HSN Summary column in the export file will be blank if you exported GSTR-1 Without activating HSN/SAC Summary.
- Allow Export of:
All Vouchers: Select this option to export all the transactions that have been already filed on the GST portal.
Only New Vouchers: Select this option to export the transactions that are not filed on GSTN portal.
5.Press Enter to export. Your file will have exported in the specified location.
Now You have to compress the JSON files in ZIP format and upload it to the GST portal.
How to File GSTR-1 returns in GST portal
- Go to GST portal. and log in with your company’s user name and password.
- Now go to the Menu Services > Returns > Returns Dashboard.
- Select the Financial Year, Month of Return Filing,then click Search.
You will see new options like ‘details of outward supplies of goods or services’ Just below of this option You will see Prepare Online & Prepare offline.
- Click PREPARE OFFLINE button.
Now in the OFFLINE Upload page, Click Choose File option to select the JSON file generated from Tally.ERP 9 or the offline tool from the local computer.
Once your JSON file is uploaded successfully, you will be notified by a message. You json file has been uploaded successfully.The GST System will now validate uploaded data as shown in the below image.
- The verification may take some time ,you have to wait till then as displayed in the screen,After that start verify the uploaded data in the GSTR Screen.Meanwhile you can enter the details of nil rated supplies and documents manually issue by referring table-wise format of GSTR-1 as these details will not upload directly to the portal.
- Now Go to the Return dash board in the GST Portal to do this go to Services > Returns > Returns Dashboard, and click Prepare Online. refer below image.
Now Lets enter the details of Nil rated supplies, click on to the 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D – Nil Rated Supplies page, and enter the details manually.and save the screen.
Next stage is to go to Documents issued page and enter the details like Invoice of outward supply, Invoice for inward supply from unregistered person,Revised Invoices,Debit Note, Credit Note, Receipt Voucher,Payment Voucher,Refund voucher,Delivery challan etc.
The final step is to submit your returns Then sign the return Digitally.
GSTR-1filing by using the GST Offline Tool – Method II
- To do GSTR-1 filing using offline excel tool You have to Export returns in the MS Excel or CSV format,to export this.
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Display > Statutory Reports > GST > GSTR-1.
- Select the month of return to be filed by pressing F2: Period button.
- Now press F12: Configure button to change the export options for enabling HSN/SAC summary ?
- Now Press Ctrl+E or click on Export button at the top of the screen to export
- Make sure that you have chosen Excel (Spreadsheet) or CSV (Comma delimited) Format in the export option.
- There are transactions in your tally where UQC is not available, In such case also you can and have to Export GSTR-1 report. Make HSN/SAC details even if UQC is not available? – Yes, in export options. But make sure that you have mapped the units of measure to UQC in the Excel or CSV sheet. How to map UQC to existing Unit of measures and how to covert existing Units to UQC are mentioned at the end of this post as a chart please check.
- Also enable option HSN/SAC details not included for other reasons? – Yes, to export transactions that are not included in the HSN/SAC Summary due to various reasons. But Later you can enter the data directly on GST Portal.
- Allow Export of:
All Vouchers: Select this option to export all the transactions that have been already filed on the GST portal.
Only New Vouchers: Select this option to export the transactions that are not filed on GSTN portal. To avoid overwriting the existing files with the new transactions, use a different MS Excel file name.
- Press Enter and accept to export the GSTR-1 Report.
Tally ERP 9 will generate separate csv file each table in GSTR-1,This file we can imported into GST offline tool provided by GST portal
How to Resolve Dollar $ symbol appears after exporting data from Tally ERP 9 ?
Some times,If you have exported in excel, a $ symbol found in the data exported, better choose csv format. Still you want to export in excel sheet
Click on MS Excel office button (File)> Excel Options > Trust centre >Trust enter settings >Trusted location
Click on add new location and add the location in your hard drive where Tally ERP 9 installed on your computer
For example : C:\Program Files\Tally\Tally.ERP9
Check the option Sub folder of this location are also trusted.
Import data and generate the JSON file
Before we start you need to download and install latest version GST Offline tool from GST Portal, To download this tool go to
Download Menu > Offline tools > Returns Offline Tools
Extract the downloaded zip file, and install GST offline tool application.
- Start the GST offline Tool by double clicking on the icon in the desktop, the application will open in a browser.
- Click on NEW button.
Fill up the details asked like GSTR return type,GSTIN of supplier, Financial Year, Tax period, aggregate turnover details etc.as shown below.Then click on proceed button.
In the next page Click IMPORT FILES button on the top left.
Then Click on IMPORT EXCEL button , and select your file exported from tally erp 9.
Note: While importing, the offline tool may show warning messages like “Are you sure you want to save Data ? This happens when the sheet is omitting transactions in the given sections. You can ignore it and proceed by clicking on ‘YES’.
IMPORT Data Using csv files
If you have return data’s in CSV Files, Follow the below path
- Upload new invoice /other data for return
- Click on New Button & enter the details asked & click proceed.
- Now click on Import files
- Select section under import returns -one selection at a time. ( For example B2B Invoices – 4A,4B,4C,6B,6C )
- After selection a new button appears “IMPORT CSV” Click on it and select appropriate csv files you have exported from Tally ERP 9.
- Again the system may ask a warning message you can ignore it by clicking Yes.
The successful import message will display.
By using this import method, you have to import each section individually.
After importing excel file or csv file Click on VIEW SUMMARY Button
The next step is Click on GENERATE FILE button to create json file.
This will create a JSON file in your local computer, In the download folder. namely something like “returns_05122017_R1_32AAEFO1405F1ZY_offline.json”
Log in to the GST portal and file your GSTR-1 returns.
Important Note For e-commerce operators
The GST department has not issued GSTIN/UIN for e-commerce operators. Currently, when data is exported from Tally.ERP 9 to MS Excel or CSV files, the GSTIN/UIN entered in the e-commerce party ledger is captured as E-Commerce GSTIN in b2b, b2cl, and b2cs worksheets. After exporting data to MS Excel or CSV files:
1. Delete the GSTIN/UIN captured in the column E-Commerce GSTIN.
2. Set the Type as OE in the b2cs worksheet.
3. Generate the JSON file.
Method 3: By filing your returns directly on the GST portal
The third method to file GSTR-1 mentioned is filing GSTR-1 Directly on the GST Portal. You can add maximum 500 invoices using this feature. The number of entry is restricted up to 500 invoices through direct entry in the portal. If you have more than 500 invoices to enter into a return please use offline tool as explained earler. Let’s see how to do this.
- Log in to the GST portal Using user name and password provided by the department.
- Go to the menu Services > Returns > Returns Dashboard, and click PREPARE ONLINE button.
Select the period in which you want to file GSTR-1 Return, Now click on search button as mentioned in the below image.
Open each GSTR-1 table, like 4A,4B,4C,6B,6C – b2b invoices & 5A &5B B2C Large invoices and enter the data manually from Tally ERP 9 GSTR-1 report.
After filling up all required tables, Submit the returns and e-sign it.
Mapping the unit of measurement (UOM) when the UQC is not available
The list of Unit Quantity Code (UQC) provided by the department does not have the representative code for brass, carats, litres, running foot, and so on. To handle this situation:
- Based on your business requirement, map the unit to the related UQC and export it to MS Excel or CSV files. For example, you can map litres to KLR-KILOLITRE.
- In the hsn worksheet of the template or CSV file, convert the quantity as per the mapped UQC. For example, if litre is mapped to KLR-KILOLITRE, multiply the quantity by 0.001 in the hsn worksheet of the template or CSV file to convert litre to kilolitre.
- Upload the modified MS Excel template or CSV file to the GST Offline tool.
- Generate the JSON file.
Examples of mapping units to the related UQCs with the conversion factors are given below:
|Unit of Measure||Nearest UQC||Conversion of Quantity in Template|
|Litres||KLR-KILOLITRE||Multiply by 0.001|
|MLT-MILILITRE||Multiply by 1000|
|Carat||KGS-KILOGRAMS||Multiply by 0.0002|
|GMS-GRAMMES||Multiply by 0.2|
|Brass||SQF-SQUARE FEET||Multiply by 100|
|CBM-CUBIC METERS||Multiply by 2.835|
|Running foot||MTR-METERS||Multiply by 0.3048|
|Cubic inches||MLT-MILILITRE||Multiply by 16.3871|
|Hanks||YDS-YARDS||For cotton, multiply by 840|
|For woolen, multiply by 560|
|Inches||MTR-METERS||Multiply by 0.0254|
|CMS-CENTIMETERS||Multiply by 2.54|
|Pounds||TON-TONNES||Multiply by 0.000453592|
|KGS-KILOGRAMS||Multiply by 0.453592|
|GMS-GRAMMES||Multiply by 453.592|
|Lots||TON-TONNES||Multiply by 0.0000128|
|KGS-KILOGRAMS||Multiply by 0.0128|
|GMS-GRAMMES||Multiply by 12.8|
|Milligrams||GMS-GRAMMES||Multiply by 0.001|
|Decameter square||SQY-SQUARE YARDS||Multiply by 119.599|
|SQF-SQUARE FEET||Multiply by 1076.39|
|Square inches||SQM-SQUARE METERS||Multiply by 0.00064516|
|SQY-SQUARE YARDS||Multiply by 0.000771605|
|SQF-SQUARE FEET||Multiply by 0.00694444|
|Tola||GMS-GRAMMES||Multiply by 11.6638125|
Note: The tax amount is automatically calculated by the e-return system in the portal .You need not enter the tax amount in the return ,you will only have the provision to enter the taxable value and tax rate. The tax is calculated automatically based on tax rate and place of supply.